The Nicholas Brothers

I watched this interview with a Black actor from The Love Boat: They said steer clear of Gene Kelly because he's supposedly a grumpy guy and wants to be left alone. And he decides Screw that. I'm going to go talk to him. 

So he asks him about The Nicholas Brothers, two Black Cotton Club tap dancers from the Harlem Renaissance. And instead of being grumpy and antisocial like he's been warned, Gene Kelly lights up, talks at length and asks to meet him for a drink later.

I had never heard of them. I've heard of the Cotton Club but I don't really know what it is. I looked up a few clips and imagined I would watch them and blah blah blah.

I never did. But here are the clips and there is more to American entertainment history than rich White people whose famous faces and names are plastered everywhere:

Cotton club tap dancers Harlem Renaissance in Gene Kelly movies




Comments

Popular Posts